It’s time to make some money! 🙂
I’ve listed 45 ways you can make extra money below (broken down by separate categories). So, let’s get started…
Make money from home
- Blogging. You can make money blogging. I make $3k+ per month blogging and there are lots of bloggers out there who make a lot more than that. I can teach you how to start a blog. You can make money blogging a number of different ways, like from creating and selling your own digital products, display advertising, and affiliate marketing. The best part about blogging is that you can write about something you love and do it on your own time. For me, I love it because it’s helping me pay down my student loan debt. Download my Blogging Quick Start Guide to get started blogging, and sign up for my free blogging course below!
- Start an online business. You can start any type of online business and make money online. The possibilities for making money online are endless. Six Figure Blogger is the course I recommend for learning how to sell eBooks and eCourses online. I took it and can say that you will learn exactly how to implement a strategy for creating a profitable online business.
- Virtual assistant. A virtual assistant (aka VA) is someone who does administrative tasks for a person or company from home (instead of going into an office). It’s an excellent way to make money from home. You can learn how to become a VA by taking a course on how to become a VA (use the code NATALIEB to get 20% off). Once you get started, you can build this into a legit side business.
- Affiliate marketing. You can make money through affiliate marketing online. Affiliate marketing means that you sell someone else’s product and get paid for it. The nice thing about affiliates is that you don’t have to create the product yourself. Bloggers make a killing with affiliate marketing (think fashion blogs, for example). If you want to go the affiliate marketing route, I highly recommend the course Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing (I took it and it’s awesome)!
- Freelance writing. You can make money by writing for other sites (which is known as freelance writing). I know people who are paid anywhere from $100-$400 per post for articles they write for other sites. I used to freelance write a ton when I first started blogging because it was a quick way to earn money on the side. Learn how to freelance write in Earn More Writing.
- Online surveys. You can get paid to fill out surveys online. There are companies that pay you to complete surveys based on what they need research on (consumer opinions, etc.). A few you can get started with are Survey Junkie, Pinecone Research, and Opinion Outpost.
- Self-publish books. You can write and publish books online, like on Amazon and then sell them (through the Kindle store or on your own site). Read how to publish and eBook and make money here.
- Proof reading. You can get paid to be a proofreader, right from your own home. Learn how to be a proofreader here and apply to become a proofreader with Scribendi here.
- Digital photos. You can take photos and sell them to companies online. They will then use your photos as stock photos. You can get paid per photo. Plus, you get to learn a cool skill along the way. Read a beginners guide to selling stock photography here. One site that you can sign up for free and sell your photos on is Twenty20.com.
- Amazon FBA seller. You can make money online by using the Fulfillment By Amazon (FBA). Here’s how it works: you find a product you want to sell, you ship it to Amazon, Amazon stores the item, you post the product online, the product appears to Amazon customers, and when the product is purchased, Amazon ships it. Learn how to start an Amazon FBA business here.
- Launch an eCourse. You can make money by creating an online course and selling it on your website. The nice thing about an eCourse is that it’s all online, so you don’t have to go anywhere to teach. The income potential is also unlimited. Read How I launched my first e-course and made over 5 grand for some inspiration!
- Fiverr. You can make money by becoming a member of Fiverr and selling your services to people online. On Fiverr, you can sell any service for $5 (or buy any service for $5). If you are skilled as a graphic designer, editor, photographer, or really anything else that you can offer your services for on the site, then Fiverr is an awesome way to make money. You don’t have to stick to the $5 price range either – you can offer services at a premium and charge more (think $10-$100 per gig).
- Air B&B. You can rent out your house or apartment and make money through Air B&B. Learn how to rent your place out and make money here. Along the same lines, but more permanent, you can get a roommate and rent one of your rooms while you still live there.
Sell your stuff
- Craigslist. You can sell your stuff on Craigslist. I recommend starting with a high price, giving a reasonable reason why you’re selling the items, and selling from an area that’s doing well economically. You’ll get much better offers this way!
- Decluttr. You can sell your old CDs, video games, or DVDs to Decluttr, a company that’s in the business of buying back these items. All you do is download the app and start scanning the barcodes of the items you want to sell. It’s easy and pain-free.
- eBay. Selling your stuff on eBay is another great way to make money.
- Poshmark. You can sell your clothes online through Poshmark, which is an app that allows you to buy and sell clothes easily online.
- Facebook. Facebook has Buy, Sell, Trade groups where you can join based on the city you live in, then post items you have for sale.
- Letgo. You can sell most of your stuff on letgo, an online platform for buying and selling your old stuff. It’s free to use and seems like a very easy platform to use.
- BookSouter.com. You can make money selling old books on BookScouter.com. This is perfect if you’ve just finished up college courses and want to make money off your books.
- Paribus. You can get a refund from recent purchases if they’ve declined in price since you’ve bought them using the app, Paribus. Basically, you keep your email receipts in one email account and the app will scan your email for receipts, then compare it to prices online. If you paid more, you can earn a refund by Paribus filing a refund claim on your behalf. Pretty neat.
Care for other people’s stuff
- House sitter. You can make money watching over people’s homes while they’re out of town. With the amazing-ness of the internet, now you don’t even need to know someone who needs you to look after their house. You can apply for these jobs on sites like HouseSitter.com.
- Pet sitter. You can make money caring for other people’s pets when they aren’t able to. Like babysitting, you can apply for pet-sitting jobs on SitterCity.com.
- Housekeeper. You can make money as a housekeeper, cleaning and caring for other people’s houses. There’s a service called Handy, where you can become a housekeeper in their site who is paired with people who need housecleaning.
- Lawn / snow care. You can make money mowing lawns in the summer and plowing snow in the winter.
Increase Your Current Pay
- Ask for a raise. You can make more money by increasing the pay at your current job.
- Get a new job. You can make money by getting a higher paying job. I have a great post that gives you five strategies to finding your dream career.
- Get more training. You can indirectly increase your potential earnings by becoming certified or taking more classes for a specific license or degree. It’s no wonder why so many of us are in student loan debt. The idea being that going to school will pay off in the future.
Take on part-time work
- Babysitter. You can make extra money on the side by babysitting. This is probably the quickest way, in my experience, to earn some extra cash. When I used to babysit, I used SitterCity.com. Babysitters can create a free profile and interview with families for babysitting jobs in their area.
- Tutor. You can make extra money by tutoring kids. You don’t have to be an expert and you don’t have to have a teaching degree. You can simply reach out to local schools or post on Facebook that you’re offering these services, or you can go through a site like Tutor.com where you can apply for tutoring jobs online.
- Uber driver. You can get paid to drive people to and from places with Uber. The nice thing about Uber is that it’s on your own time – you don’t have to have a set schedule and can work whenever you want to make money. You get to keep 80% of what you earn on the rides and Uber keeps 20%.
- Server / bartender. You can take on a part-time job as a server or bartender and make extra money quickly. Usually, servers and bartenders are paid out in cash, so the sooner you start the sooner you’ll have cash in your pocket!
- Coach. You can get paid to coach people doing a variety of different things. From fitness to health to finances to goal-setting, if you have experience in an area, you can learn how to be a coach and make money coaching other people. You can create a website to promote your coaching and turn it into a legit side business.
- Retail store. You can make extra money by working at a retail store, particularly (but not necessarily) if you like fashion or it’s the holiday season. Usually, you can work evening shifts, which makes retail a great avenue if you work a job during the day.
- Stylist. You can make money as a stylist for companies like Stitch Fix. A lot of styling opportunities are part-time and provide great flexibility.
- Bookkeeper. You can learn how to become a bookkeeper from home and make money on the side. Read this post about how to become a bookkeeper for more info.
- Mystery shopper. You can earn money as a mystery shopper, which means companies pay you to pretend like a normal shopper and shop at their stores, then report back on how your experience was. Read this story about how one woman made $14,000 mystery shopping.
Take advantage of financial institutions
- Sign up for bank offers. You can put some extra cash in your pocket by signing up for bank offers. Basically, you open a new account when the bank offers you cash for opening a certain account at its institution. Personally, I don’t love this because it requires a lot of moving pieces (opening and closing accounts) and it feels like you’re always at the whim of the bank offer instead of creating a plan and sticking to it (let alone the fine print that comes along with this strategy). However, I know people who do this successfully and term it “free money”, so I didn’t want to leave it out just because it’s not my cup of tea. Here is a post that talks about how to do this.
- Sign up for credit card reward offers. You can make some extra money (aka cash back or points) from using credit cards. I don’t do this because I choose not to use a credit card, but again – I didn’t want to leave it out for you. Here’s a look at how you can make money from using credit cards.
Use your health
- Clinical trials. You can make money by participating in health studies (aka clinical trials). You can search clinical trials in your area here. You have to be accepted into the study, which means you have to qualify. But you don’t have to have a disease. There are lots of studies out there, including sleep studies, and some studies want healthy adults as a control group.
- Healthy activities. You can earn money through Achievemint, an app that pays you to achieve your health goals. Their website says, “Earn $10 for 10,000 points. There’s no limit to how much you can earn. In addition, earn up to hundreds of dollars for contributing health research.”
- Donate your plasma. You can get paid for giving your plasma. Just like giving blood, except you’re paid when you donate plasma. Here’s a post about how to get paid donating plasma.
- Stock market. You can make money by investing in the stock market. There are many different ways to do this, including long-term investing (think saving for retirement) and short-term investing my day trading. Before you start, read this post on asset allocation so you have a basic understanding of what a portfolio is.
- Flip houses. You can make money by investing in real estate, fixing it up, then selling it at a profit. Here’s a guide about how to flip houses for profit.
- Buy rental properties. You can make money by investing in real estate through owning rental properties. You buy the house, then rent it out so you make a profit against what the mortgage is (if you have a mortgage). The blog Afford Anything is the go-to resource for rental properties, in my opinion.
A Final Note!
This post is so popular that I made it into a download that you can take to go. Download 45 Ways To Make Extra Money here.
Cheers to making more money!