Do you ever find yourself feeling frustrated, stressed, or annoyed?
The solution isn’t to jump to some positive affirmation and switch your thoughts.
This is what I see most new students and clients doing—resisting the negative emotion, trying to feel better right away.
There’s a really big mistake when you do it this way. You resist what is instead of accepting it. You cause the negative thoughts to reappear without ever resolving them.
It’s like a GPS when you put in the destination you want to drive to. You don’t just need the final address. You also need the starting point. Without it, you can’t get clear directions.
The same is true in life. There’s where you are now and where you want to go. You get the steps to move from where you are now to where you want to go by having both the end and starting points.
This means you have to look at all the not-so-fun-stuff like what your real beliefs are—even if (especially if) they’re really negative.
If you’re feeling stuck, unmotivated, or any other negative emotion that you’ve been hesitant to look at, I have a new tool to teach you in today’s episode: Curiosity and Compassion.
It’s through using curiosity and compassion you’ll get the understanding and acceptance of where you are now so you can move to where you want to go with openness instead of resistance.
Here are more personal development resources that will help you when you don’t know how:
- Two Emotions I Use To Help Me Feel Better (blog post)
- When You Don’t Know How (podcast)
- How To Solve Any Problem (blog post)
- Goal Setting Blog Posts (all blog posts on how to set goals)
- Personal Development Free Course (free training)
- Dream Year: How To Accomplish Your #1 Goal This Year And Feel Good Doing It (book + workbook)
- Personal Development For Her (course)