Thanks for stopping by my resources page. Here, I want to share with you the resources I find most helpful in finance, intentional living, and blogging. This includes podcasts, worksheets, books, and anything else that helps me. Some of the links below are affiliate links, which means that I make a commission if you use my link. This is one way I make money from my blog. Not all of the links below are affiliate links, and I only include links to things that I personally use, so it’s a win-win. So, here are my top resources for you.
Personal Capital is my recommendation for organizing your finances electronically. It is a FREE tool that I use to manage all of my accounts. I link my personal accounts, student loan accounts, and business account. By using Personal Capital, you have access to investment tools that you can use to monitor your financial health (like the net worth tracker). What I like about Personal Capital is that you can be a newbee or a pro and still get a lot out of the website. If and when you’re ready to invest, you can also do this through Personal Capital. I highly recommend it as a tool to stay financially organized. It’s amazing!
‘Dream Job’ Course
The Dream Job Course contains hours of HD video lessons with step-by-step instructions on identifying your Dream Job, finding companies and job openings that fit you, crafting irresistible cover letters and resumes, building a network that will help you find the best opportunities (even if you don’t have one yet), interviewing for competitive jobs, negotiating top salaries and promotions — and beyond.
How to Start a Blog
I recommend Bluehost for a blog host if you are just launching a new blog! I used Bluehost and it was reliable and helped me create what is now Financegirl. It’s super easy to use and the customer support is amazing. You have to have a good host for your blog, and I recommend getting started with Bluehost. I can teach you how to start a blog here.
I recommend iMark Interactive for all of your website needs on the technical side. This is the company I use for setting up a new blog, transferring sites, maintenance, and technical issues on my site. Not only is the quality top notch, but the customer service is outstanding. I can’t recommend the quality of work more highly. iMark is simply the best, and I wouldn’t go anywhere else for my sites.
I recommend ConvertKit for email marketing. If you want to be a successful blogger, you have to build an email list. I changed my email strategy with ConvertKit and went from 2k subscribers to over 5k in a few months (and now, I’m up to 9k)! I highly recommend ConvertKit if you want to run a successful, profitable blog (you can learn how I increased my subscribers here).
Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing is a course that teaches new bloggers how to make money blogging using affiliate marketing. I make money every month from affiliate marketing — it’s my favorite way to make money online. And my increase in income is a direct result of this course. In this course, you’ll learn how to implement a strategy to grow your blog income exponentially.
Blog Yourself Rich is a workbook that teaches you exactly how to turn your blog into a successful, full-time gig. The author, Lauren, is a full-time blogger herself, so you will learn from someone who actually does this for a living. She’ll even send you the first few pages for free because she believes in the workbook so much. It’s amazing and you will have a successful blog by following her steps.
How I made $40k My First Year of Blogging
How I Made $40k My First Year of Blogging is by Chelsea Lords from Chelsea’s Messy Apron. In her first year of blogging, Chelsea made $40k!!! She spells out exactly how she did it in this ebook. I highly recommend reading this book if you want to learn how to turn your blog into a successful, money-making website from the start.
If you need to get life insurance, then I recommend using an online tool to compare prices, like the one offered by PolicyGenius. It’s fast, easy to use, and helps you get the policy that’s best for you. Whatever you do, learn about life insurance and make sure you have adequate coverage — especially if you’re married or have kids. You can learn more about life insurance here.
Elite Blog Academy
Elite Blog Academy is the course that I took in 2016, which resulted in my tripling my blog income. I think it’s the best course out there for learning how to blog. It gives you a complete framework for creating your blog and shows you how to monetize it. You can only get the course in February every year, but you can join the waitlist and download a free workbook until the course opens. It’s definitely worth every penny. It completely changed my life!
Books I Recommend
I read all of my books on my Kindle Paperwhite. I used to think that I wouldn’t like reading on an e-reader because I didn’t like reading on my phone. After getting my Kindle for Christmas last year, I can say that reading on a digital reader is completely different than reading on a phone (thankfully).
Here is a list of books that I have read, enjoyed, and recommend:
- A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton G. Malkiel
- Dave Ramsey’s Complete Guide to Money: The Handbook of Financial Peace University by Dave Ramsey
- I Will Teach You to Be Rich by Ramit Sethi
- Rich Bitch by Nicole Lapin
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki
- Secrets of the Millionaire Mind by T. Harv Eker
- The Little Book That Still Beats the Market by Joel Greenblatt
- The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous and Broke by Suze Orman
- The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness by Dave Ramsey
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life by Henry Cloud
- How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuk
- Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg
- Living the 80/20 Way by Richard Koch
- Necessary Endings by Henry Cloud
- People Over Profit by Dale Patridge
- REWORK by Jason Fried
- Secrets of Dynamic Communication by Ken Davis
- The 4-Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
- The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth by John Maxwell
- The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick) by Seth Godin
- The Happiness Advantage: The Seven Principles of Positive Psychology That Fuel Success and Performance at Work by Shawn Achor
- The School of Greatness: A Real-World Guide to Living Bigger, Loving Deeper, and Leaving a Legacy by Lewis Howes
- The Slight Edge: Turning Simple Disciplines into Massive Success and Happiness by Jeff Olsen
- The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
- To Sell Is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others by Daniel H. Pink
- Way Of The Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman
- Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future by Peter Thiel
- How I Made $40k My First Year of Blogging by Chelsea Lords
- How To Blog For Profit Without Selling Your Soul by Ruth Soukup
- On Writing Well by William Zinsser
- Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World by Michael Hyatt
- The Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh from the Lemonade Stand by Judith Orloff
- ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income by Darren Rowse
- Stand Out: How to Find Your Breakthrough Idea and Build a Following Around It by Dori Clark
Podcasts I Love
Podcasts have become a HUGE part of my life. On my way into work and on my way home, I’m usually listening to a podcast. Here are some of my favorites.
- Dave Ramsey’s Take Control Of Your Money
- The Suze Orman Show
- This Is Your Life: A Podcast By Michael Hyatt
- Smart Passive Income w/Patt Flynn
- Freakonomics Radio by Stephen J. Dubner and WNYC
- Knowledge For Men by Andrew Ferebee
- Your Move by Andy Stanley
- My Wife Quit Her Job by Steve Chou
- The Art and Business of Public Speaking Dynamic Communicators by Ken Davis
- 1 Day Business Breakthrough by Pat Flynn and Chris Ducker
- How to Start a Startup by Sam Altman
- Radical Personal Finance by Joshua J. Sheats
- The Accidental Creative by Todd Henry
- The School of Greatness by Lewis Howes